the ponderings of a mother

These are the ponderings of a mother in love with her children, both in my arms and in the grave. Some of these ponderings are quite emotional, some are funny, others contemplative and spiritual. All are sincere. May these writings bless you in many ways and bring you closer to the one, true God and Redeemer of all things.

Friday, January 21, 2011

Great things You have done

“Great things are they that you have done, O Lord my God! How great your wonders and your plans for us! There is none who can be compared with You.  Oh, that I could make them known and tell them! But they are more than I can count.” Psalm 40:5-6


I have been feeling this verse for a couple days now. I read the entirety of psalm 40 out loud with Jonan this morning before our worship time.  It is full of God’s faithfulness to those who call on Him.  I want to recount, this day, some of the amazing things God has done this week for all to rejoice with us:
·        There was a man who emailed us this past week about a conversation he had with his father concerning our decision with our son. This man’s father had assisted an abortion for his unwed daughter many years ago. Our friends writes this of his conversation with his father this week:
“I told them about your decision to carry your baby as long as it didn't endanger your own life and he started to protest saying what's the use. I replied "dad, they want to provide a safe place for that baby as long as he is alive (and kicking). My dad stopped arguing (for the first time in more than 30 years) and said something like "well, I suppose so".  Already little Jonan has touched a hard heart.”
·        Our neighbor came to us two days ago in tears sharing her tender heart about how the email and news of Jonan has really moved her. She said Jonan’s life is inspiring her and she wants to connect with God after many years of not having this in her life. She said she wants to know where we go to church. We are excited to have her come with us and connect with God as Savior. What a beautiful story!
·        I have received 2 jobs offers this week and have accepted both (each are part-time). This is an incredible answer to prayer for us as this time, as well as for me as I walk in patient waiting in the next uncertain months. One position is at Wheaton College and the other at our church, Church of the Resurrection. Both are great environments where I know numerous people already and feel comfortable. This is a real blessing to me at this time.
·        Three amazing friends from church came to our house a few nights ago and deep cleaned out home. What was I doing? Lying on my bed as they brought me tea and a plate full of goodies they brought with them.  Wow. And to top it all off…my husband initiated this evening as a blessing to me in a very weary week. I am so thankful for you and so proud of who you are, Jeff.
·        A friend of mine in a graduate program here at Wheaton is a brilliant woman. She is here to study from China, where she and her family are part of the underground church.  She will go back into this challenging political and religious place soon. Here is what she writes:
“You can't imagine how touched I am when reading your email... When my mom went to do the ultrasound for the fifth month, I was examined as an infant without brain... This kind of kid can't live long, and with low IQ... The circumstance at that period of time was that each family were required to have only one kid... As a result, my parents were encouraged to terminate my life, so that they could have a healthy baby... After discussion, my parents decided to keep me as long as they could, and the whole prayed for me... I could never imagine how great faith they had, and how much they love me, until I read your letter...”

Her story stunned us. And to imagine that Jonan’s life has helped her know so much more the love of her own parents is such a gift to Jeff and I.
·        How can I count all the things the Lord is doing. Cards, food, emails, hugs, etc. etc. etc.
“Oh, that I could make them know and tell them! But they are more than I can count.”

No comments:

Post a Comment